Area: 504,750 sq km
Languages: Castilian Spanish (official language) and Catalonian, Galician, Valenciano, Vasco (official languages in the autonomous communities)
Religion: mostly Roman Catholic
Government: Constitutional Monarchy
Time: GMT/UTC plus 1 hour
Electricity: 220V 50 Hz, European plug with two circular metal pins
Dial code: 34
- Catalunya is on the nord eastern part of the peninsula. It is the region of a unique culture and a language of its own. Barcelona is its capital city which attracts many tourist with its exceptional beauty and outstanding architectural heritage, museums, cathedral...Costa Brava is an area of natural resorces and beauty, of many tourist places, as well as of fishing villages. Among the most popular tourist centers we must mention: Rose, Sant Pere Pescador, L´Escala, L´Estartit, Begur, Palafrugell, Palamos, Platja d´Aro, S´Agaro, Sant Feliu de Guixols, Tossa de Mar, Lloret de Mar and Blanes. Costa Dorada is famous for its beautiful well maintained beaches and tourist centers: Calella de la Costa, Arenys de Mar, Castelldefels, Sitges, Calafell, Torredembarra, Tarragona, Salou, Cambrils, Miami Playa.
- Valencian Community is a region of long beaches and orange groves. Valencia is its capital famous for its fiesta of Saint Joseph, when enormous papier-mache sculptures are set ablaze. Besides this magnificent town of Valencia, another centers like Cullera, Gandia and Oliva are also worthwile visiting. La Costa Azarah boasts with several important tourist centers; Vinaroz, Benicarlo, Peńiscola, Alcoceber, Oropesa and Benicasim. However, la Costa Blanca is the most popular tourist destination in Spain due to its magnificent sandy beaches.
- Balearic Islands are located in the Mediterranean sea and are distinguished by the most exceptional weather conditions. Palma de Mallorca is its capital. All the islands have wonderful scenery, pictoresque landscape, clear waters, forests, beaches...These are the islands; Menorca (an island of history and tradition), Ibiza, Formentera, Cabrera, each with long history, and they all celebrate various festivities.
- Andalucia is an extremely beautiful region of unique culture and tradition, a region with white hill towns, beautiful coast. Its major centers are Seville (with the most spectacular Gothic cathedral), Malaga, Granada (with the most beautiful Moorish monuments) and Cordoba. Some of the best beaches in Spain are located between Cadiz and Tarifa, on the Atlantic, the latter one being the best spot for windsurfing.
- Murcia is one of Spanish major tourist areas. Its major port, Cartagena, has always been important through the centuries, with museum of pre-Roman and Roman collections. There lies La Costa Calida with the temperate climate and sandy beaches. Mar Menor is of special interest. It is part of the Mediterranean and suitable for water sport activities. Important tourist centers are: Santiago de la Ribera, La Manga del Mar Menor, Puerto de Mazarron, Aguilas and Cartagena.
MORE ABOUT SPAIN:
Climate in Spain
Continental, Maritime and Mediterranean climate are the three types of climate in this area
The Spanish cuisine is rich in variety and has gained an excellent reputation. Their dishes vary from tasty sauces, fish and vegetables naturally combined with the wines.
Due to its great location, Spain has always been a target for different civilizations. The Iberian population probably arrived from the north of Africa.
Culture and Events
Spain has an extraordinary cultural heritage. It is the fusion of different influences throughout the history; mostly Iberian, Latin, Roman Catholicism and Moorish Islam.